Friday, February 20, 2009

It's a long way to go to come second...

Sorry! An old family saying...
In truth we met or exceded all the goals I had prior to going to Gore for the South Island Champs. Both boys performed exceptionally well and travelled well. Des won the 5yo class, was just second in the first Level 2 test and won the challenge test on the second day. I had made the choice not to put studs in for the show, reasoning it wasn't that important a show and an unecessary cost. Des spent the first two days slipping and sliding all over the place but being honest with it, however but the third day he flipped me the metaphorical bird and wouldn't go forward. Made the test a little tricky to ride and when we made a couple of mistakes we ended up down the ranks in sixth place. This was enough to cost us the Championship title and even the reserve - although that was very close - we were just pipped on countback! Not the reason we went down to Gore anyway but it was hard for me not to be disappointed in not bringing the big ribbon home.
Gosh on the other hand coped well with the conditions. He went out every day and improved in some way. Three consistent, if not startling tests were enough for the Reserve Championship at Grand Prix level. This was well beyond my expectations going into the show - at this stage we are still after that happy experience in the ring - I need to get him comfortable with that intensity of work & questions before we ask what we are truly capable of.
I'm sorry there are no pictures - there was an official photographer there so I didn't get the slave to bring mine out which I should have done. Can you believe that after 3 days and 4 tests there were none of Des at all? None of the Inter II either - after that I lost interest in going over and searching for non-existant shots!
Gore and the Southland Dressage group put on an outstanding show, one I'd gladly travel to again. Now if we can just get them to work on the weather...

No comments: